Wednesday, August 18, 2010

SWF seeks... color splash.

Oh, hey there. My name is Terra and I blog over at Stylish White Female. Desiree asked me to guest blog and I couldn’t be more honored. I could easily take any of her ensembles and drop it into my own wardrobe. I love what she does! 


One of the topics that I get the most questions about and receive the most comments on is the use of color. It’s so easy to fall into a deep, dark cave of black fabric. I must admit, I hibernate down there on occasion myself. But lately I’ve tried to push the color boundaries a bit. If I’m shopping and really like a piece that comes in black, I try to find it in a different color. And I don’t let my skin tone or my hair color restrict me. So many people say they’re surprised that a redhead can wear red or that a fair skinned gal can wear nude. If you don’t try, you’ll never really know if something works or not.
I have a tendency to mash a bunch of colors together and see if they play nice. Just recently I posted a Community Choice poll (every Sunday SWF readers get to choose what I will wear to work the following Tuesday) that included two very safe combinations of blue, black and white. The third option was the rebel in the group, mixing blue, coral and yellow. Wouldn’t you know, it was the vibrant color combo that everyone loved. 
I try to think of color less in terms of a red skirt or a green dress and more along the lines of cherries and apples. In other words, if I like the way two colors look together in nature, why shouldn’t I like the way they look on my body? 
Last fall I wore an ensemble that combined my brown tweed trousers with a white blouse, an orange cardigan and a green and white striped scarf. It sounds like a hot mess. But I based the amalgamation on the fact that I love pumpkins and somehow it worked. 
The lesson of the day? Do not be afraid of color! If your clothes are nicely tailored, you can mash just about anything together and it will work. 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...