Saturday, October 9, 2010

I BE-WEEVE

If you've seen The Polar Express, this post will make sense to you. If not, you should watch it because it is such an adorable movie.

Last year before Christmas, I was getting worried that baby girl would be scared of Santa forever. She didn't want anything to do with him or the idea of him. In a last ditch effort to eliminate her fear, I purchased The Polar Express. For those of you who have not seen it, it is 100 minutes long. Meaning that I had little faith that my two-year-old would sit through the whole thing. I was completely surprised when she barely took her eyes off the screen for the entire time. She loved it. She loved Santa. And she wanted a bell (I won't spoil it but the bells play a very important part in the movie) for Christmas.

The bells in the film make a beautiful, indescribable sound that is quite unlike the clanging that play bells make in real life. Nonetheless, I found her a bell that matched the little boy's bell in the movie and she loved it. One evening when we were sitting around the house she put the bell up to her ear, closed her eyes, shook it and said "I ... be-weeve. I ... be-weeve. I be-weeve in Santa!" Completely unprompted. It was the most adorable thing ever and I'm not just sayin' it because she's my kid and all! Ok, maybe I'm biased but still.

How does this relate to my outfit? A few weeks ago we were in downtown McKinney for Oktoberfest and decided to pop into one of the antique stores right before they closed. They had 20% off all of the jewelry in the store so, naturally, that is where I started. I was trying on a few cool rings when out of the corner of my eye I saw this silver ball necklace. I thought it was so simple and understated but really pretty at the same time. I went to grab it and it made the most beautiful sound. Yep, you guessed it, the SAME EXACT sound that the bells make in The Polar Express. I didn't even look at the price before I decided that it was going home with me. I couldn't leave it there, it was just too perfect.

I hope that every year I can sit down with baby girl (and the necklace hehe) and watch The Polar Express. One day, when she gets older and has kids of her own, I'll give her the movie and the necklace and she can pass the story on to them.

On a side note - I love this outfit. This is the outfit that I was wearing when I tweeted about receiving such a polite compliment from a completely random man at school. As I was walking out of the school a guy told me, "Ma'am, your outfit is just lovely."It seemed so, I don't know, old fashioned or something. Normally a compliment would be "cool outfit" or "where did you get that jacket" but I'm digging the whole "lovely" thing.

DSC_0002
DSC_0003
DSC_0005
Dress: Gap
Leggings: Walmart
Jacket: Last Kiss via Ross
Shoes: Gap
Necklace: Vintage


video
Of course we made her do it again so that we could video tape it. I had to include it to really drive the story home. =) Aren't kids just so stinkin' cute sometimes. They kill me! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...