Wednesday, May 2, 2012

BODY TYPE: SHORT AND STRAIGHT

I have a straight / banana / boyish / slim column / slim rectangle body shape. Every website and magazine calls it something different but it really boils down to is that I am pretty much straight up and down. Quite honestly, I didn't know what style of clothing was "correct" for my body type so I decided to do a little digging online to find out. I used Shop Your Shape and Joy of Clothes to gather my information.

The gist of it is that I should we wearing tops, pants and swim suits with ruffles and embellishments in order to add oomph to my frame. I should stray away from anything too square, heavy or shapeless. I found it interesting that none of the sites that I found addressed height in conjunction with body type. I'm 5"4' and, while that is rather average, it still plays a part in certain things that I wear.

Since reading what is supposed to work for my body type, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really care. Yeah, I tend to like certain tops with ruffle, embroidery and embellishments on them but I also really, really love my plain t-shirts. I know that lots of shapeless layers don't do much for my body but, every once in a while, I like to go with a more bohemian vibe and toss my body type convictions out the window. So I supposed I don't really dress for my body type. I take it on a case by case basis. I try things on and, assuming they meet my (rather than a magazine editor's) standards as to what looks and feels good on my body, I buy them.


DSC_0070

Shirt: Gap, thrifted
Sweater: DKNY, Gabriel Brothers
Jeans: Gap
Shoes: Minnetonka
Necklace: Charming Charlie

DSC_0077

This chunky knit sweater is something that shouldn't (and perhaps doesn't) work for my body type. The  knit is too heavy and the shape is too unstructured for my short, straight frame. But you know what? I love it. I wear it at least 3x a week. It is like wrapping yourself in a big hug. And who doesn't want their clothes to hug them?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...