Tuesday, May 1, 2012

RETROSPECTIVE

When I started this blog, I was a completely different person at completely different station in life. I didn't really know what I was getting into as far as blogging and with each new follower gained or friend made I felt my confidence grow just that much more. I can't say that I had clear expectations when it came to the world of blogging. On one hand, I really thought it would be pretty awesome to have a bunch of followers and develop a blog that would be a vehicle in taking me places, so to speak. On the other hand, I don't think that I had any idea what I wanted or, for that matter, what I was getting myself into by starting a blog.

Looking back, this blog has gotten me through some pretty yucky spots in my life. Just the routine of getting dressed, taking photos, writing a post and publishing said post brought structure to my life when I really needed it. It led me to a creative outlet that I didn't know I needed at the time. It gave me confidence to try new things and, eventually led to habits that I hope will be life long. Thrifting, differentiating between wants and needs as far as material items go, knowing what works for me and what doesn't work for me style wise and the confidence to try new things are all things that this blog has led me to. Aside from these things, I've been introduced to some of the most amazing people that I never would have known otherwise. The fact alone is enough to feel an immense sense of gratitude toward this blog.

I used to feel as if I needed to post something amazing every single day or else my followers would get bored and eventually unsubscribe. And, honestly, some days I still feel this way. It is no secret that my blogging has been erratic (as best) since I moved from Texas to Pennsylvania almost a year ago. I've thought a lot about why my blog took such a hard hit after this move. I've felt less inspired and more anxious about getting dressed (what a silly thing it is to be anxious about getting dressed, for crying out loud) than I've ever felt before. I don't feel like a personal style blogger anymore. I still enjoy getting dressed creatively for special occasions (which are few and far between, but still) but, in my day to day life, I gain much more joy from putting on a great pair of jeans, my comfy moccasins and my favorite grey t-shirt. I've toyed with the idea of shutting down the whole operation and walking about from blogging. But, for some reason I don't feel like that will solve the problem. The problem being that I don't really have a niche right now - I don't feel like a personal style blogger and I've never branched out to try to be any other kind of blogger. If I walked away from blogging today, I would still feel as if  I was just floating around.

Enter Kyla's 31 Blogging Days Challenge. I've had the pleasure of meeting Kyla at the first Texas Style Conference and, guys, she is seriously one of the most hilarious, amazing ladies that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. She announced her challenge at the perfect time for me. I'm hopping that by participating I will emerge at the end of the 31 days with a clear(er) view of what this blog means to me and what it will become. Or not become.

I supposed I started off the challenge by straying a bit from what the "assignment" was by making my retrospection a bit more life-centric than style-centric. But, in all honestly, that is one my favorite things about challenges - the way that the participants interpret them in order to make them work for themselves. It keeps things interesting. But, I will leave you with my very first outfit post. Interestingly enough, it is one of my favorite outfits to date and it completely embodies the simplicity that I'm trying to bring back into my closet (and life) right now.

DSC_0016_normal
GREEN WITH ENVY - January 2, 2010

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...